Wednesday, January 6, 2010

At the End of My Rope

This is me at the end of my rope...lanyard...Each day when I suit up for work, the last thing I put on is my lanyard. It has my staff I.D. with a key to my first classroom and some helpful "PECS" dangling at the bottom. Oh and my favorite tool, my whistle. My first classroom is 1st grade. I shadow a child with health issues, (lungs mostly) and if his nurse is not with him, I stay with him all day. Great kid, smart, funny, playful. After my 9am break, I head over to a class of multiple grade levels, abilities and sizes. One kid is 90lbs and about 4ft and in the second grade. His ability level is about 4yrs old. Helpful and lovable. I use sign language and PECS* pictures to help in communicating with the kids...

*Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS)

No comments:

Post a Comment